The Old Jameson Distillery is a tour through a re-created distillery which is visited by over 350,000 people a year.
The story of Jameson Whiskey starts on October 5th 1740 when John Jameson was born. The family motto ‘Sine Metu’ (‘Without Fear’) was awarded to them for their bravery in battling pirates on the high seas in the 1500’s. Years later, this motto was the inspiration for 30-year-old John Jameson’s move to Dublin in 1770 to start a whiskey distillery.
As Jameson established his distillery in Dublin, his practice of using only the finest ingredients began to leave a mark. Jameson personally selected the barley and casks, insisting his whiskey be distilled three times, not twice like Scottish whiskey, to create a very smooth spirit.
In the 1780’s, the men and women working in the distilleries enjoyed the best wages and working conditions in the city. Jameson believed sharing his profits, time and spirit with each worker made them loyal and, in turn, made a better whiskey.
By 1810, John Jameson’s son, John II, had expanded the distillery to be one of the largest in Ireland and, in the late 1800’s, his son, John III expanded the business globally to make it one of the largest whiskeys in the world. By the time John IV took over in the early 1900’s, Jameson Whiskey was world renowned.
Open 7 days: Mon–Thur from 10.00 am (last tour 5.30 pm)
Fri–Sat from 10.00 am (last tour 7.00 pm)
Sunday from 10.00 am (last tour 5.30 pm)
Open Bank Holidays
Closed Good Friday, 24-26 December
Longer opening hours during the peak summer months: Mon-Thur 10.00 am – 6.00 pm; Fri, Sat, Sun 10.00 am – 7.00 pm.
Bow Street, Smithfield, Dublin 7.
Tel: 01 807 2355
Adults €22; concessions. (Note the discount price of €17 when you book online for an early morning slot).