COVID-19 advice: Please follow current government advice and check opening times before travel.
Dublin City Hall was built between 1769 and 1779 (designed by Thomas Cooley). It is the headquarters of Dublin City Council and is the place where the Lord Mayor and City Councillors hold meetings to discuss present and future plans for Dublin.
City Hall was originally built as the Royal Exchange and was used by the merchants of Dublin as a financial centre until Dublin Corporation bought the building in 1851. It was renovated and re-opened in 1852. The building underwent a major refurbishment programme in 1998-2000 and has been restored to its former 18th century glory.
Situated in an historic quarter of Dublin, City Hall is neighbour to Christ Church Cathedral and Dublin Castle. The vaults of the Hall house an exhibition entitled “The Story of the Capital”, a comprehensive account of the city’s history.
Noteworthy features of the building are the magnificent Hall and Rotunda (an elegant space with a circular dome, like a small-scale version of similar buildings in Rome); statues of Daniel O’Connell, Thomas Davis, Henry Grattan, Charles Lucas and Thomas Drummond; and a set of twelve paintings representing scenes from the history and mythology of the city. There is a detailed brochure available in the lobby explaining the various art works.
Open Mon–Sat: 10.00 am-5.15 pm.
Closed Sun, Bank Holidays, St Patrick’s Day, Good Friday, 24-26 Dec & 1 Jan.
Normally a self-conducted tour. Tours for groups take place by prior arrangement.
Dame Street, Dublin 2.
Tel: 01 222 2204.