St. Stephen’s Green is Ireland’s best known Victorian public park. The extensive grounds amount to some 9 hectares (22 acres) and are maintained in the original Victorian layout. There are lunchtime concerts during the summer months.
Re-opened by Lord Ardilaun in 1880 for the citizens of Dublin, the park has been maintained in the original Victorian layout with extensive perimeter tree and shrub planting, and spectacular spring and summer Victorian bedding. The herbaceous border provides colour from early spring to late autumn. Sanctuary from inclement weather can be obtained in the Victorian lakeside shelter or in the Victorian Swiss shelters in the centre of the park.
The Green Mile walking tour of St Stephen’s Green is a venture by the Little Museum of Dublin. The Green Mile tour tells the story of a square which has been at the centre of Irish history for hundreds of years. Every year 8.1 million people walk through St Stephen’s Green; the park has long served as a backdrop for public and private drama, as well as being the setting for many great love stories. The tour begins with a short presentation at the Little Museum. Participants then embark on a 60-minute walk in the company of an expert local guide. The tours take place every day at 11.30 am. Advance booking is essential.
Mon to Sat: 7.30am till dusk
Sun & Bank Holidays: 9.30am till dusk
Open Christmas Day: 9.30am – 12.30pm
The closing time of the gardens varies in line with daylight hours.
Free audio guide available to download from the website linked below.
Guided tours available from the nearby Little Museum of Dublin.