The Phoenix Park contains over 700 ha. (1752 acres) and is the largest enclosed public park in any capital city in Europe. Open to the public since 1747, the Park is home to a large herd of fallow deer, a Visitor’s Centre, a Victorian kitchen walled garden (2.5 acres) , the Zoological Gardens and Aras an Uachtarain (the President’s residence). There are many walks & cycle routes.
The Park is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The walled kitchen gardens are open daily 10.00 am-5.00 pm all year round.
On the second Saturday of every month, visitors can meet the Park Gardeners between 10.30 am and 12.30 pm in the Kitchen Garden.
The Visitors’ Centre houses an exhibition on the history/wildlife of the Park. (Nearby is the fully restored Ashtown Castle, a medieval tower house).
Open May-Oct 7 days a week 10.00 am-5.45 pm (last admission 5.00 pm). Nov-Apr closed on Mon & Tues, open Wed-Sun 9.30 am-5.30 pm (last admission 4.45 pm). Tel: 01-6770095.
Tours of Ashtown Castle are organised from the Visitors’ Centre all year round. The Castle tour times are 10.30 am, 12.00 noon, 1.30 pm, 2.30 pm, 3.30 pm and 4.30 pm. There are no tours on Saturdays (Jan-March, Nov-Dec) or on Saturdays/Sundays (April-October).
There are tours of Grangegorman Military Cemetery on Blackhorse Avenue (Dublin 7) from April 2 to November 5 on Thursdays at 11.00 am. Walkers assemble inside the Cemetery Gates. Admission is free and all are welcome. Please wear suitable shoes and clothing. For further information, phone 01-6770095.
The Magazine Fort is strategically sited on St Thomas Hill, off the Military Road, and close to the Islandbridge Gate. It was built in 1734 -1736 to store gun powder and ammunition for British Government Forces. One third of the British Army was stationed in Ireland and was regularly rotated around the Empire. The Fort was raided on two occasions: Easter Monday 1916 and the 23rd of December 1939.
Free guided tours are available. Tickets are limited and are issued from the Phoenix Park Visitor Centre, on a first come first served basis on the day of the tour. Phone 01-6770095 the day before arrival as there can be short notice closures. Tours run from April 21 to September 22 at 10.00 am, 12.00 noon and 2.30 pm (April to August) and at 10.00 am and 12.00 noon in September.
Visitors have access to a number of areas within the Fort including one of the magazines and two viewing platforms. Conservation works are ongoing within the Fort. Ground conditions are uneven so sturdy footwear is advised and suitable outdoor clothing should be worn.
www.heritageireland.ie (Phoenix Park)
www.heritageireland.ie (Peoples’ Flower Gardens)
www.heritageireland.ie (Visitor Centre, Ashtown Castle)
Phoenix Park, Dublin 8.
Tel: 01 8205800.