The Hurdy Gurdy Museum of Vintage Radio houses an extensive collection of exhibits chronicling the history of telecommunications from the 1840s onwards. There are examples of early Morse equipment, gramophones, crystal sets, valve radios and other pieces of equipment. Pat Herbert is the curator.
Located in the Howth Martello Tower, the site has historic links with Marconi and Lee deForest, two of the fathers of wireless, who conducted early experiments from the tower in the 1900’s. One of the first ship-to-shore messages was received in this building.
The Martello tower is located on Tower Hill, overlooking Howth Harbour. Access is from Abbey Street up a sloping pathway, almost opposite the Abbey Tavern.
Open May-October 11.00 am to 4.00 pm daily
Open Nov-April 11.00 am to 4.00 pm on Saturdays and Sundays only
Martello Tower, Howth, Co. Dublin
Admission: Adults €5, Concessions.