Places to visit: Other

National Wax Museum

National Wax Museum

COVID-19 advice: Please follow current government advice and check opening times before travel.

The Great Irish Writers Room is a salute to the literary legacy of our nation’s greatest writers. Figures featured include James Joyce, Samuel Beckett, Oscar Wilde, W.B. Yeats, Sean O’Casey and George Bernard Shaw.

The Time Vaults of Irish History section offers the visitor the opportunity to explore the various stages of Irish history. One passes through the magnificent old Armoury vaults which formally housed the nation’s gold and armour. Visit St Patrick, the Celts, The Normans, the Vikings and the Famine, all the way through to Modern Irish History.

Meet Setanta and his wolfhound, watch out for the Viking slaying monk, witness a glimpse of the devastation of famine life, feel the tension of the 1916 Rising and meet the men and women who secured peace in Northern Ireland. Enjoy a history lesson in Irish culture and life, from the Bronze Age right up to the Good Friday Agreement peace talks in Northern Ireland, and stand side by side some of the nation’s most famous historical figures.

No wax museum would be complete without its very own Chambers of Horror. Feel your heart pounding and your hands sweating as you come face to face with the infamous Buffalo Bill, Hannibal Lector or Dracula.

In Wax World  you enter through the Wardrobe into a fantastical room that features all the greats and all the seasons of the year. Santa Claus sleeps in the Wax Museum 364 days a year. Harry Potter and Mad Eye Moody stand in Autumn. Children can sit with Peppa Pig and take a seat in the creative corner and draw and colour to their hearts’ content. Also featured are Sponge Bob Square Pants, the Simpsons, the Evil Queen, Harry Potter and Bob the Builder

The Science and Discovery Zone pays homage to Irish Inventors, engineers and scientists. Interactive touch screen technology helps bring this room to life, with real experiments and figures to examine and touch.

An Offaly man, Henry George Ferguson, revolutionised the farming industry by designing and building a plough with a 3 point linkage to the tractor. His invention and design is still widely used today. A sample of the back end of of a tractor is on view for all to see. Along with the tractor there are many more fun, weird and wonderful inventions and experiments on display throughout this section. Included is a commuter railway track, fibre optics displays and a link to the NASA space station.

Other scientists and inventors featured include John Philip Holland, the Clare man who developed the first US Navy Submarine; James Drum from Co. Down who invented the nickel zinc rechargeable battery; and Ernest Walton from Waterford, the first person in history to artificially split the atom.

Wax Hands give visitors a chance to have a copy of their own hand moulded in wax to take home and keep.

Visit Father Ted in an authentically Irish room set to capture one of the most influential cultural programmes of the 90s. Take a photo with more than one priest and spot as many Ted references as you can.

 Open Mon–Sun 10.00 am-10.00 pm.

Closed 24-26 Dec.

www.waxmuseumplus.ie

22-25 The Lafayette Building, Westmoreland Street, Dublin 2

Tel: 01 671 8373.

Adults €16.50; concessions. Check for discount tickets online.

John Jameson

Old Jameson Distillery

COVID-19 advice: Please follow current government advice and check opening times before travel.

The Old Jameson Distillery is a tour through a re-created distillery which is visited by over 350,000 people a year.

The story of Jameson Whiskey starts on October 5th 1740 when John Jameson was born. The family motto ‘Sine Metu’ (‘Without Fear’) was awarded to them for their bravery in battling pirates on the high seas in the 1500’s. Years later, this motto was the inspiration for 30-year-old John Jameson’s move to Dublin in 1770 to start a whiskey distillery.

As Jameson established his distillery in Dublin, his practice of using only the finest ingredients began to leave a mark. Jameson personally selected the barley and casks, insisting his whiskey be distilled three times, not twice like Scottish whiskey, to create a very smooth spirit.

In the 1780’s, the men and women working in the distilleries enjoyed the best wages and working conditions in the city. Jameson believed sharing his profits, time and spirit with each worker made them loyal and, in turn, made a better whiskey.

By 1810, John Jameson’s son, John II, had expanded the distillery to be one of the largest in Ireland and, in the late 1800’s, his son, John III expanded the business globally to make it one of the largest whiskeys in the world. By the time John IV took over in the early 1900’s, Jameson Whiskey was world renowned.

Open 7 days: Mon–Thur from 10.00 am (last tour 5.30 pm)
Fri–Sat from 10.00 am (last tour 7.00 pm)
Sunday from 10.00 am (last tour 5.30 pm)
Open Bank Holidays
Closed Good Friday, 24-26 December

Longer opening hours during the peak summer months:  Mon-Thur 10.00 am – 6.00 pm; Fri, Sat, Sun 10.00 am – 7.00 pm.

www.jamesonwhiskey.com

Bow Street, Smithfield, Dublin 7.

Tel: 01 807 2355

Adults €22; concessions. (Note the discount price of €20 when you book online for an early morning slot).

Phoenix Park

Phoenix Park

COVID-19 advice: Please follow current government advice and check opening times before travel.

The Phoenix Park contains over 700 ha. (1752 acres) and is the largest enclosed public park in any capital city in Europe. Open to the public since 1747, the Park is home to a large herd of fallow deer, a Visitor’s Centre, a Victorian kitchen walled garden (2.5 acres) , the Zoological Gardens and Aras an Uachtarain (the President’s residence). There are many walks & cycle routes.

The Park is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The walled kitchen gardens are open daily 10.00 am-5.00 pm all year round.

On the second Saturday of every month, visitors can meet the Park Gardeners between 10.30 am and 12.30 pm in the Kitchen Garden.

The Visitors’ Centre houses an exhibition on the history/wildlife of the Park. (Nearby is the fully restored Ashtown Castle, a medieval tower house).
Open May-Oct 7 days a week 10.00 am-5.45 pm (last admission 5.00 pm). Nov-Apr closed on Mon & Tues, open Wed-Sun 9.30 am-5.30 pm (last admission 4.45 pm). Tel: 01-6770095.

Tours of Ashtown Castle are organised from the Visitors’ Centre all year round. The Castle tour times are 10.30 am, 12.00 noon, 1.30 pm, 2.30 pm, 3.30 pm and 4.30 pm. There are no tours on Saturdays (Jan-March, Nov-Dec) or on Saturdays/Sundays (April-October).

There are tours of Grangegorman Military Cemetery on Blackhorse Avenue (Dublin 7) from April 2 to November 5 on Thursdays at 11.00 am. Walkers assemble inside the Cemetery Gates. Admission is free and all are welcome. Please wear suitable shoes and clothing. For further information, phone 01-6770095.

The Magazine Fort is strategically sited on St Thomas Hill, off the Military Road, and close to the Islandbridge Gate. It was built in 1734 -1736 to store gun powder and ammunition for British Government Forces. One third of the British Army was stationed in Ireland and was regularly rotated around the Empire. The Fort was raided on two occasions: Easter Monday 1916 and the 23rd of December 1939.

Free guided tours are available. Tickets are limited and are issued from the Phoenix Park Visitor Centre, on a first come first served basis on the day of the tour. Phone 01-6770095 the day before arrival as there can be short notice closures. Tours run from April 21 to September 22 at 10.00 am, 12.00 noon and 2.30 pm (April to August) and at 10.00 am and 12.00 noon in September. These tours have been cancelled until further notice. 

Visitors have access to a number of areas within the Fort including one of the magazines and two viewing platforms. Conservation works are ongoing within the Fort. Ground conditions are uneven so sturdy footwear is advised and suitable outdoor clothing should be worn.

www.phoenixpark.ie

www.heritageireland.ie (Phoenix Park)

www.heritageireland.ie (Peoples’ Flower Gardens)

www.heritageireland.ie (Visitor Centre, Ashtown Castle)

www.phoenixpark.ie (tours)

Phoenix Park, Dublin 8.

Tel: 01 8205800.

Admission free.

Powerscourt Townhouse Centre

Powerscourt Townhouse Centre

Powerscourt Townhouse Centre is a speciality shopping centre set in an elegant Georgian house just off Grafton Street. Formerly home to Richard Wingfield 3rd Viscount Powerscourt (1730-1788), this town house entertained guests during the Parliament season. A fine example of Dublin’s Georgian architecture, it is unique in showing the transition from rococo style to neo-classical under one roof.

A guided tour takes you through the kitchen and cellars, the entrance hall, Lady Powerscourt’s dressing room and bedroom, the music room, the ballroom and the dining room (all these areas are now in commercial use).

www.powerscourtcentre.ie

59 South William Street, Dublin 2.

Group tours available by request Mon-Fri: contact Shireen on 086 8065505 or email shireengail@gmail.com

Science Gallery

Science Gallery

The Science Gallery was a Trinity College venue promoting current areas of science and art-science collaborations. It was noted for its knowledgeable, enthusiastic staff. There were 4-6 temporary exhibitions each year, as well as lectures and other events.

The Science Gallery closed at the end of January 2022. Trinity College thanked the Science Gallery Dublin team whose hard work, know-how and unwavering commitment over the last 14 years helped ignite curiosity where science and art collided for over three million visitors.

A message from the Trinity Provost, Linda Doyle, issued on 28th January 2022, said among other things –

“Looking back, the gallery has been wonderful, but it has had problems in recent years. Unfortunately, in its present form, with its substantial and growing debt, it cannot overcome those problems. The current operational model has run its course.

The gallery needs to be totally reimagined and work very differently from the way it does now. Closing the gallery affords us the time to address the problems and build a new, exciting and sustainable way forward.

Colleagues and students across Trinity are eager to be involved, as are many of the long-time friends and supporters of the gallery. We can also count on widespread public support, as well as the wisdom and support of Science Gallery International.

Over the past months we have also had excellent engagement with multiple Government departments who have come together in a very collaborative manner and pledged support for our future ambitions.

None of what I have said above takes from the fact that the gallery has been a source of delight and inspiration since it opened in 2008. We are proud to have inspired other cities around the world to adopt our vision to showcase research and ideas from science and technology in exciting new ways.”

https://dublin.sciencegallery.com

 

 

Skerries Mills

Skerries Mills

COVID-19 advice: Please follow current government advice and check opening times before travel.

Skerries Mills is an award-winning restoration of a Great 5 Sail Windmill, a Thatched 4 Sail Windmill and a Water mill. All three mills are in working order, a rare survival of 17th, 18th and 19th Century industrial Ireland. The centre is built on a high site with fine coastal views. The Watermill Café and a Craft Shop are also open for visitors.

Guided tours are available daily and last approximately 50 minutes. Your guide shows you the history of milling and Skerries Mills. Try your hand at stone grinding flour, then see the water wheel in action turning the sieves, shakers, blowers and all inside the mill. Take a walk across the crop field and go up inside the four sail windmill  and then onto the five sail Great Windmill of Skerries which dominates the local skyline. There are views of the town as well as the islands off Skerries and the coastline as far as the Mourne Mountains. Later, enjoy refreshments in the Watermill Café.

Open Apr-Sept 10.00 am-5.30 pm. Oct-Mar open 10.00 am–4.30 pm.

Closed 24-27 Dec, 31 Dec, 1 Jan.

www.skerriesmills.ie

Skerries, County Dublin.

Tel: 01 849 5208.

Adults €10.

Irish National Stud and Japanese Gardens

Irish National Stud and Japanese Gardens

COVID-19 advice: Please follow current government advice and check opening times before travel. 

The Irish National Stud and Japanese Gardens are adjoining attractions which pull in 150,000 visitors every year.

Racehorses are conceived, born and raised on Tully’s famous Stud Farm, long the source of thoroughbred champions. See six stallions, famed for race track feats.

The Japanese Gardens are the finest of their kind in Europe. Created 1906-1910 by Col. William H. Walker, the gardens symbolise the “Life of Man”, tracing the journey of a soul from oblivion to eternity.

Also visit St. Fiachra’s Garden, designed in 1999 by Martin Hallinan, and the Horse Museum (including a tribute to Arkle, the greatest steeplechaser ever).

Open Mon-Sun 10.00 am-6.00 pm (including Bank Holidays). Last admission 5.00 pm [In November/December, closing time is 4.00 pm].

Guided tours of the stud are at 10.30 am, 12.00 pm, 2.00 pm and 4.00 pm daily, lasting 45 minutes. There are extra tours during the peak tourist season.

The tour of the Japanese Gardens, Saint Fiachra’s Garden and Horse Museum is self-guided (a special leaflet guide is available).

www.irishnationalstud.ie

Irish National Stud, Tully, Kildare.

Tel: 045 521617.

Adults €14; concessions.

National Sealife Centre

COVID-19 advice: Please follow current government advice and check opening times before travel. 

The National Sealife Centre  is an indoors aquatic Zoo with 30+ displays. It contains sea creatures from the world’s oceans: there are over 70 different species on view, including an impressive tropical shark lagoon. Check the Centre’s website for feeding times/talks [piranha, carp, tropical sharks, octopus, seahorses, sting ray]. Kids rate this a 5-star experience.

Open 7 days a week (except Christmas Day and St Stephens Day)
Winter hours: Open Monday to Friday 11.00 am to 4.00 pm (last admissions 3.00 pm )
Open Saturday/Sunday 10.00 am to 6.00 pm (last admissions 5.00 pm)
Summer hours: Open 7 days, 10.00 am to 6.00 pm (last admissions 5.00 pm)
Open Christmas Eve: 11.00 am-4.00 pm
Open New Year’s Day: 12.00 pm-6.00 pm
Closed Dec 25-26.

www.visitsealife.com

Seafront, Bray, Co. Wicklow.

Tel: 01 2866939.

Admission €11.50 per adult (if booked online; otherwise, the price at the door is €13.50); concessions

Newbridge Style Icons

Newbridge Museum of Style Icons

COVID-19 advice: Please follow current government advice and check opening times before travel. 

The Newbridge Museum of Style Icons is an attraction forming part of the Newbridge Silverware Visitor Centre. The museum is a permanent exhibition of garments and memorabilia from the collections of world stars (e.g. Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Princess Diana, Michael Jackson).

The museum houses one of the greatest private collections of Audrey Hepburn couture and paper memorabilia in the world. Renowned for her elegant style both on and off screen, the ‘Audrey’ exhibition features clothing both from Audrey’s films and her personal wardrobe. The collection includes items from renowned designers Hubert de Givenchy and Yves Saint Laurent as well as an extensive paper collection, carefully conserved and presented. Highlights include letters from Audrey to her father who lived in Dublin from the 1960’s until his death in 1980.

There are a craft workshop, extensive showrooms and a restaurant on site.

Open Mon-Sat 9.00 am–4.30 pm;
Sun/Public Holidays: 10.00 am–4.30 pm.

Restaurant closes at 5.00 pm

Limited places available on guided tours: 10:30 am on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

www.newbridgesilverware.com

Newbridge, Co. Kildare.

Tel: 045 431301.

Admission free.