COVID-19 advice: Please follow current government advice and check opening times before travel.
The Casino (meaning “small house”) was designed by Sir William Chambers in the late eighteenth-century as a pleasure house for James Caulfeild, 1st Earl of Charlemont. It is widely acknowledged as the most important example of neoclassical architecture in Ireland.
One of only a handful of buildings in Ireland designed by Chambers, the most celebrated architect of his time, the Casino is full of architectural tricks, devices, and secrets. Although it looks like a one-room Greek temple from the outside, there are actually three floors and sixteen finely decorated rooms hidden inside.
The Casino is the last remaining building of Lord Charlemont’s once-spectacular demesne at Marino in Dublin which, until the late nineteenth century, extended from modern-day Collins Avenue south to Marino Mart in Fairview. The story of the demesne and the Casino itself is told through maps, models, images, and letters on display throughout the building.
The House is accessed via self-guided tours. There are also free guided tours twice per day, at 11.00 am and 2.00 pm. [Private tours can be booked – email firstname.lastname@example.org].
In 2022, the Casino is open seven days a week from June 19 to November 6.
Open 10.00 am-4.30 pm (last entry is at 4.30 pm).
Casino Marino, Cherrymount Crescent, Malahide Road, Marino, Dublin 3.
Tel: 01 833 1618.