All posts by jadmin

Glasnevin Cemetery

Glasnevin Museum and Cemetery

COVID-19 advice: Please follow current government advice and check opening times before travel.

Wittily dubbed “Croak Park” by local wags, over 1.5 million people are buried here. Visit the graves of famous people and hear about Irish history on a guided tour. Trace your roots in the Genealogy Area (all the records are available online at

The highly popular general history tour gives an insight into Victorian and later times. Visit the final resting place of men and women who have helped shape Ireland’s past and present, such as Daniel O’Connell, Charles Stewart Parnell, Michael Collins, Maud Gonne and Roger Casement. Explore the high walls and watchtowers surrounding Glasnevin and learn about the colourful history of Dublin’s grave robbers.

A particularly dramatic attraction is the once-a-day re-enactment of famous speeches (e.g. Patrick Pearse delivering the graveside oration at Jeremiah O’Donovan Rossa’s funeral or James Larkin’s famous speech made at the front gates of Mountjoy Prison). These take place at 2.30 pm every day.

Padraig Pearse’s 1915 oration [“The Fools, the Fools, the Fools! – they have left us our Fenian dead – And while Ireland holds these graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace”] roused Irish republican feeling and was a significant element in the lead-up to the Easter Rising of 1916.

Museum attractions include the City of the Dead (an exhibition covering the burial practices and meticulous record-keeping regarding the 1,500,000 people buried in Glasnevin); the Religion Wall (illustrating different beliefs about the after-life); the Milestone Gallery (which houses a succession of special exhibitions on key historical figures, starting with Glasnevin’s founder, Daniel O’Connell); and the Timeline (a 10- metre long digitally interactive table containing details of the lives and relationships of hundreds of the most famous people buried here).

You can now climb the O’Connell Tower – Ireland’s tallest round tower – for the first time in over 45 years. As you pass through the ornate crypt of Daniel O’Connell, you begin the journey to the top of the monument built in his honour. After a comprehensive restoration programme, the staircase in the tower is now accessible, complete with an exhibition about the legendary figure himself and the fascinating history of the tower. Once at the top, you will enjoy 360 degree panoramic views of the sprawling grounds of the cemetery, the city of Dublin, Wicklow and the Irish Sea (see AND

When planning a visit to the Cemetery, remember that you can now access the Botanic Gardens via the cemetery. A gate access to the “Botanics” from within the cemetery has been re-opened. The gate is located along the wall at the far side of Glasnevin Cemetery (the Prospect Square entrance).

Museum Opening Times: Mon-Fri 10.00 am-5.00 pm.  (There can be extended opening hours in July and August).

General History Tour: Daily at 11.30 am, 2.30 pm
Dead Interesting Tour: Sat and Sun and Bank Holidays at 1.00 pm

Glasnevin also offers a variety of walking tours for pre-booked private groups of 15 or more. Topics include Rising Tours (guided tours of the graves of combatants and civilians involved in, and affected by the 1916 Rising); Women’s Tours (famous women interred in Glasnevin Cemetery); Literary/Cultural Tour (writers, artists and musicians, both famous and forgotten); Joycean Tour (a journey through the life and imagination of James Joyce – from the Hades chapter of Ulysses to the final resting place of his parents); Labour Tour (visit the Graves of those who fought for change and social reform); Military History Tour (from those who fought with Wellington in the Napoleonic campaigns through to the trenches of World War One, plus figures that fought in the Civil Wars of America and Spain); and Shared History Tour (referencing the Ulster Covenant, The First World War, The Easter Rising and The War of Independence). Booking with at least two weeks’ notice is essential for any group wishing to take one of these tours. To book a tour please contact or call 01 882 6570.

There is limited car parking space on the main road opposite the cemetery. However, a convenient but hard to find car park is available within the housing estate opposite the cemetery (a fee of €2 is payable as you leave this car park).

Finglas Road, Dublin 11

Tel: 01 882 6550

General History Tour (incl. museum entry) – Adults €14.50; concessions
Dead Interesting Tour (incl. museum entry) – Adults €14.50; concessions
Museum only – Adults €7; concessions
Tower & Museum €9.50; concessions
Tower & Dead Interesting tour €22; concessions
Tower & General History Tour €22; concessions

An article in the Irish Times weekend magazine in November 2021 contained a number of surprising facts about Glasnevin Cemetery.

There are more people buried in Glasnevin Cemetery (1,500,000) than there are currently alive in Dublin. 800,000 of these people are buried in “poor ground” or unpurchased graves.

Glasnevin Cemetery was founded by Daniel O’Connell in 1832. As noted in the book “Dead Interesting: Stories from the Graveyards of Dublin” (by Shane MacThomáis), the guiding principle behind the establishment of the cemetery was that those with no money at the end of their days would be able to find a place to be buried (whether from workhouses, tenements, Magdalene laundries or industrial schools). A plot for those who cannot afford a burial still exists today.

One more anecdote – when the famous political leader, Charles Stewart Parnell, was buried, his coffin left City Hall at midday. But his burial had to take place under moonlight such was the extraordinary number of mourners who turned out to pay their respects.



Government Buildings

Government Buildings

COVID-19 advice: Please follow current government advice and check opening times before travel.

An imposing complex built by the former British administration in Ireland, the building now accommodates the Department of An Taoiseach, the Department of Finance and the Office of the Attorney General.

When built by the British, the complex was designed for two new government departments, the Local Government Board and the Department of Agriculture and Technical Instruction, as well as the Royal College of Science, then housed in 51 St Stephen’s Green. By coincidence, the complex was completed in March 1922, and was available immediately to be occupied by the new Irish Free State government.

In more recent times, the building has been converted and entirely refurbished to form modern accommodation for a number of departments.

Please note that visiting arrangements are subject to cancellation on short notice (due to official State business) so visitors should phone in advance to avoid disappointment.

Tours take place every Saturday at 10.30 am, 11.30 am, 12.30 pm and 13.30 pm.

Tickets can be collected on any Saturday morning from the National Gallery, Merrion Square West, Dublin 2, from 10.00 am.

Upper Merrion Street, Dublin 2.

Tel: 01 645 8813.

Admission free.

Guinness Storehouse

Guinness Storehouse

COVID-19 advice: Please follow current government advice and check opening times before travel.

Ireland’s number one visitor attraction, providing a journey into the heart of the world famous Guinness brand and company. This historic building is central to Dublin’s heritage, and has been continually updated to create a blend of industrial tradition and contemporary edge. The seven floors bring to life the rich heritage of Guinness, telling the story from its origins at St. James’s Gate in Dublin to its growth as a global brand, known all around the world.

The enormously popular tour takes in the history of the Guinness family, the ingredients and craft of brewing, cooperage and transportation, Guinness’s long tradition of award winning advertising, the craft of pouring the Perfect Pint, the use of Guinness in cooking, and a chance to enjoy a pint of Guinness in the lofty Gravity Bar, taking in breath-taking panoramic 360° views of the city.

Open 7 days a week 9.30 am – 7.00 pm (last admission at 5.00 pm).
Late opening during July & August: 9.00 am – 9.00 pm (last admission at 7.00 pm)
Closed Dec 24-26 & Good Friday.

St. James’s Gate, Dublin 8.

Tel: 01 408 4800.

Ticket prices vary. The standard walk in rate is €25 per adult but if you book online in advance the off peak adult rate can drop to €19.50. All adult prices include a pint of Guinness. There are price concessions for senior citizens and for children.

The Open Gate Brewery is the home of brewing experimentation and innovation at St. James’s Gate where Guinness brewers are given license to explore new recipes, reinterpret old ones and experiment freely to bring exciting new beers to life.

Rather than a walking tour of the facility, brewers and beer experts will be on hand to meet visitors and explain in detail what goes on inside the facility. You can purchase Guinness stout and the latest brewers project releases like Hop House 13 lager, Dublin Porter and West Indies Porter.  You can also purchase experimental beers.  Some of these beers will end up on tap at your local pub or on the far side of the world, while others will never leave these walls. Every visitor will receive a complimentary beer tasting board of four sample size beers on arrival.

Open Thursdays and Fridays, from 4.00 pm to 10.30 pm (last entry at 9.30 pm, last orders at 10.00 pm). Also on Saturdays from 2.00 pm – 8.00 pm (last entry at 7.00 pm, last orders at 7.30 pm). See the website to check availability.

Tickets are €9 each and include a beer tasting board. Over 18’s only.

Hugh Lane Gallery

Hugh Lane Gallery

COVID-19 advice: Please follow current government advice and check opening times before travel.

The Hugh Lane Gallery is the oldest gallery of modern and contemporary art in Ireland, housing 2,000 artworks, including Manet, Monet, Renoir and Degas, and the Francis Bacon studio. The gallery organises regular classical music concerts (Sundays at noon), lectures, etc.

The Hugh Lane Gallery first opened its doors in January 1908 in Clonmel House, Harcourt Street, and is thought to be among the first galleries of modern art in the world. In 1933 the Gallery moved to Charlemont House in Parnell Square, a neo-classical town house designed in 1765 by William Chambers for James Caulfield, the first Earl of Charlemont.

In 2006 a new extension designed by Gilroy McMahon saw the gallery double in size with additional space now available to show permanent collection items as well as facilitating temporary exhibitions. There is also a dedicated learning space, together with a bookshop and café.

The Gallery’s collection includes the renowned Hugh Lane Bequest 1917 (shared with the National Gallery, London) which includes masterpieces by Manet, Monet, Degas, Renoir and Morisot among others.

“The Eve of St Agnes”, the masterpiece of the renowned 20th Century stained glass artist, Harry Clarke, is very popular with visitors.

Francis Bacon’s legendary studio was relocated from 7 Reece Mews, London, to Dublin in 1998 and is now on permanent display. Together with fascinating unfinished works by Bacon, there are display cases presenting items from the studio, an audio visual room and touch screen terminals which allow the visitor to explore the life and art of one of the most important artists of the 20th Century.

The layout upon entering the Gallery can be confusing. If you turn right (passing the reception desk) and go up the stairs, you will visit the 2006 Extension where generally very modern works are exhibited. The Extension design is stark and cold. However, if upon entering the front doors of the Gallery, you stay on the ground floor and walk straight ahead for about eight metres, you will arrive at the Harry Clarke exhibit on your left, while a little further on are rooms displaying classic European artists, culminating with the striking Francis Bacon studio. The most rewarding part of one’s visit will be in this area.

Open Tue-Thurs 9.45 am-6.00 pm, Friday 9.45 am-5.00 pm
Saturday 10.00 am-5.00 pm, Sunday 11.00 am-5.00 pm
Closed Mondays

Charlemont House, Parnell Square North, Dublin 1.

Tel: 01 222 5550

Admission free.

Irish Jewish Museum

Irish Jewish Museum

COVID-19 advice: Please follow current government advice and check opening times before travel.

The Irish Jewish Museum houses a collection of photographs, paintings, and memorabilia telling the story of Ireland’s Jewish communities in Dublin & other Irish cities over the last 150 years. Staffed by volunteers, the museum is located on the site of Dublin’s Walworth Road Synagogue, once in the heartland of “Little Jerusalem,” a densely populated Jewish enclave off the South Circular Road.

Winter (mid-September to May): Open Sundays, 10.30 am to 2.30 pm
Summer (June to mid-September): Open Mondays, Tuesday, Wednesdays, Thursday and Sundays from 11.00 am – 3.00 pm
Groups of ten or more must always be booked in advance (contact to book a tour). Pre-booked groups can visit outside of normal opening hours.

Always closed on Jewish holidays.

3 Walworth Road (near Victoria, Lennox & Harrington Streets), South Circular Road, Dublin 8.

Tel: 01 4531797 (office hours); otherwise, 085 7067357 (texts only)

Admission €5. Tours €7.


Irish Museum of Modern Art (IMMA)

COVID-19 advice: Please follow current government advice and check opening times before travel.

The Irish Museum of Modern Art (IMMA) is Ireland’s leading institution for modern art and is located at the atmospheric complex of buildings known as the Royal Hospital, Kilmainham. [For heritage information about this location, please see the separate entry entitled “Royal Hospital Kilmainham“.]

The Museum’s temporary exhibition programme regularly juxtaposes the work of leading, well-established figures with that of younger-generation artists to create a debate about the nature and function of art. Works shown range from painting and sculpture to installation, photography, video and performance. 

Exhibitions usually last three to four months and up to four shows can be on view at any one time. IMMA originates many of its exhibitions but also works closely with a network of international galleries and museums.

This link takes you to a list of current events and exhibitions:

Open Tues-Fri: 11.30 am-5.30 pm; Sat 10.00 am-5.30 pm; Sunday & Bank Holidays: 12.00 pm-5.30 pm. Closed Mondays (except Bank Holidays), Good Friday, 24-26 Dec.

Tours providing a general introduction to IMMA exhibitions take place Wed 1.15 pm, Sat & Sun 2.30 pm. Each tour lasts 30 minutes. Please arrive early for tours as numbers are limited (max 20). No booking required.

Pre-booked guided tours are available for special interest groups including schools, colleges and adult education. The tour times are Tuesday to Friday at 9.30 am, 10.00 am, 10.30 am, 11.00 am and 2.30 pm. Tours are led by IMMA staff and are free of charge.

Royal Hospital, Military Road, Kilmainham, Dublin 8.

Tel: 01 612 9900

Admission free (there is a charge for occasional special exhibitions).

Iveagh Gardens

Iveagh Gardens

Iveagh Gardens is one of the finest and least known of Dublin’s parks and gardens. Access is from Hatch Street.

The gardens were designed by Ninian Niven in 1865 as a cross between the ‘French Formal’ and the ‘English Landscape’ styles. The gardens demonstrate the artistic skills of the landscape architect of the mid 19th century; they display a unique collection of landscape features including rustic grottos, a cascade, sunken formal panels of lawn with fountain centre pieces, a rosarium, an American garden, and archery grounds.

The conservation and restoration of the gardens commenced in 1995 and to date most of the features have been restored (e.g. the maze in box hedging with a sun dial as a centre piece). The recently restored cascade and exotic tree ferns all help to create a sense of wonder in the ‘Secret Garden’. The pre-1860s rose varieties add an extra dimension to the Victorian Rosarium.

Open Mon-Sat: 8.00 am. Open Sun & Bank Holidays: 10.00 am.

Gardens close
Dec-Jan: 3.30 pm approx.
Feb & Nov: 4.00 pm approx.
March-Oct: 6.00 pm

Clonmel Street, Dublin 2.

Tel: 01 475 7816.

Free admission.

James Joyce Centre

COVID-19 advice: Please follow current government advice and check opening times before travel.

The James Joyce Centre is a beautifully restored Georgian town house, exhibiting items relating to the life and work of James Joyce.

The house was built in 1784 by Francis Ryan for Valentine Brown, the Earl of Kenmare, who used it as his townhouse. The plasterwork was done by Michael Stapleton, one of the finest stuccadores of the time. The house was given special mention by Constantine Curran in his book “Dublin Decorative Plasterwork of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries”, and the photographs he took were essential to the restoration of the house. Curran was also a close friend of Joyce’s.

In the 18th century this area of Dublin was very fashionable but it fell into decline in the 19th and early 20th centuries. By 1982 twelve houses on the street had been demolished by the City Council as dangerous buildings, including the house next door. Number 35 was saved by Senator David Norris, a Joycean scholar who also lives on this street. For many years, the Centre was run by descendants of Joyce’s brother Charles Joyce and sister May Monaghan. It is now run as a limited company with the support of the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht.

The James Joyce Centre also offers guided walking tours of historic Joycean Dublin, taking in some of the monumental and ordinary sights and sounds of the city in which Joyce staged all his works. See the separate entry entitled “James Joyce Centre Walking Tours”.

Open Oct-Mar: Tues-Sat 10.00 am–5.00 pm; Sun 12.00 pm–5.00 pm
Oct-Mar: Closed Mondays
Open Apr-Sept: Mon-Sat 10.00 am-5.00 pm; Sun 12.00 pm-5.00 pm
Open Bank Holidays
Closed St Patrick’s Day, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday, 20 December-2 January

35 North Great George’s Street, Dublin 1

Phone 01 878 8547

Adults €5; concessions

Jeanie Johnston

Jeanie Johnston Famine Ship Museum

COVID-19 advice: Please follow current government advice and check opening times before travel.

The Jeanie Johnston Famine Ship Museum is a replica of a wooden tall ship which sailed between Tralee & North America between 1848 and 1855.

The original Jeanie Johnston was built in 1847 on the banks of the St. Lawrence River in Quebec City, Canada. The cargo ship was purchased in Liverpool by John Donovan and Sons of Tralee, Co. Kerry. As the famine gripped Ireland, the company ran a successful trade bringing emigrants from Ireland to North America and returning with timbers bound for the ports of Europe.

The Jeanie Johnston made her maiden voyage on 24th April 1848 from Blennerville, Co. Kerry to Quebec with 193 passengers on board. Over the next seven years the ship made 16 voyages to North America carrying over 2,500 emigrants safely to the New World. Despite the seven week journey in very cramped and difficult conditions, no life was ever lost on board the ship – a remarkable achievement.

Guided tours only.  MAY TO OCTOBER – Open 7 days, 9.30 am to 5.15 pm.  First tour at 10.00 am, last tour at 4.30 pm . NOVEMBER TO APRIL – Open 7 days, 10.30 am to 4.00 pm. First tour at 11.00 am, last tour at 3.00 pm.

Custom House Quay, Dublin 1.

Tel: 01 473 0111.

Adults €11; concessions.

Kilmainham Gaol

Kilmainham Gaol

COVID-19 advice: Please follow current government advice and check opening times before travel.

Kilmainham Gaol is one of the largest unoccupied gaols in Europe and its history is relevant to some of the most heroic and tragic events in Ireland’s emergence as a modern nation from the 1780’s to the 1920’s. Attractions at this splendidly atmospheric site include a major exhibition detailing the political and penal history of the prison and its restoration. The tour of the prison (which is outstanding) includes an audio-visual show.

When the Gaol was first built, public hangings took place at the front of the Gaol. There was no segregation of prisoners; men, women and children were incarcerated up to five in each cell, with only a single candle for light and heat, most of their time being spent in the cold and the dark. The cells were roughly 28 square meters in size.

Children were sometimes arrested for petty theft, the youngest said to be a seven year-old child, while many of the adult prisoners were transported to Australia. Remarkably, for an age that prided itself on a protective attitude for the ‘weaker sex’, the conditions for women prisoners were worse than for men. An official 1809 report  observed that male prisoners were supplied with iron bedsteads while females ‘lay on straw on the flags in the cells and common halls.’ Half a century later there was little improvement.

Between 1796 and 1924, Kilmainham Gaol was a place where, apart from Daniel O’Connell and Michael Collins, every significant Irish nationalist leader of both the constitutional and physical force traditions was incarcerated. Thus, its history as an institution is intimately linked with the story of the Irish nationalism.

The majority of the Irish leaders in the rebellions of 1798, 1803, 1848, 1867 and 1916 were imprisoned there. It also housed prisoners during the Irish War of Independence (1919–21) and many of the anti-treaty forces during the civil war period. Charles Stewart Parnell was imprisoned here, along with most of his parliamentary colleagues, when he signed the Kilmainham Treaty with William Gladstone.

Kilmainham Gaol was decommissioned as a prison by the Irish Free State government in 1924. Seen principally as a symbol of oppression, there was no interest in its preservation as a monument to the struggle for national independence. The jail’s potential function as a focus for national memory was complicated by the fact that the first four republican prisoners executed by the Free State government during the Irish Civil War were shot in the prison yard.

The site now houses a museum on the history of Irish nationalism and offers excellent guided tours of the building. An art gallery on the top floor exhibits paintings, sculptures and jewellery of prisoners incarcerated in prisons all over contemporary Ireland.

[Thanks to Wikipedia for the above information]

The main exhibition at Kilmainham Gaol Museum tells the story of the social and political history of the prison. Three main themes are explored on the different levels of the exhibition space: the social history of Kilmainham Gaol and Irish prisons in the 1800s, the history of Irish nationalism and republicanism, 1796-1924, and the restoration of Kilmainham Gaol in the 1960s.

The ground floor exhibition tells the story of Kilmainham from the perspective of the ordinary prisoner. A prison register for the Gaol shows the crimes for which men, women and children were imprisoned, ranging from violent assault to stealing apples from an orchard. Visitors can see the small wooden box used by convict John Sheahan to carry his possessions to Australia in 1842. A Victorian-era Gandolfi camera, used to capture prisoner ‘mugshots’, is also on display.

Rebellion, nationalism and the path to independence are the themes of the exhibition on the first floor, which deals with Irish political history from the 1798 rebellion up until the end of the Irish Civil War in 1924. Objects on display include Robert Emmet’s proclamation of a provisional government of Ireland in 1803, the last letter written by Charles Stewart Parnell and scapulars taken from the body of Michael Collins following his assassination in 1922.

The ‘Last Words’ section displays the last letters and personal belongings of the fourteen leaders of the Easter Rising executed at Kilmainham Gaol in May 1916. The final floor of the exhibition tells the extraordinary story of a group of volunteers who rescued Kilmainham Gaol from near ruin in the 1960s and restored it.

Kilmainham Gaol is accessible only via a guided tour. The venue is extremely busy in the peak tourist season and as many visitors book online the tours can be completely booked out. It is therefore essential to book your tour online in the peak season. People often turn up in July and August ready to queue, only to find that the venue is totally booked out.   

Opening hours  
October to March:  9.00 am – 5.30 pm (last admission at 4.15)
April & May:  9.00 am – 6.00 pm (last admission at 4.45)
June, July & August: 9.00 am – 7.00 pm (last admission at 5.45)
September: 9.00 am – 6.00 pm (last admission at 4.45)
Closed 24-26 December

A superb souvenir booklet called “A history of Kilmainham Gaol” used to be available in the shop for the bargain price of €5 and was a “must buy” at that price. Sadly, the updated price is €10.

Inchicore Road, Kilmainham, Dublin 8.

Tel: 01 453 5984.

Adults €8 (online price); adults walk up price €9; concessions.